Aug 16, 2006

Italia - The Prologue

The day I bought my tickets to Italy I was in awe. Complete and total awe. I hadn't planned on going to Italy... I mean I wanted to obviously, but I didn't think it was going to happen. But Kat and Trevor kept pushing, and eventually we ended up with a group of 8 people heading off to Italy in split shifts because of class, with plans to see Rome and Venice over the spread of as many as five days depending on your schedule.

The problem was... the planning pretty much stopped after the flights were booked. The weekend before we left, every one was every where but campus. Hotels were booked late, and although we booked our train from Rome to Venice, not much more research was done. No one really knew what they wanted to see besides The Vatican and the Coloseum, so obviously we didn't know what to see when. This was a by the seat of our pants trip, and it's safe to say that we paid for it.

Although I apologize for the delay, I think it's best that I'm writing about this particular trip a long time afterwards. At this point I remember that it was rough, but I mostly remember the good stuff. I remember falling in love with San Marco Piazza in Venice, I remember gelatto, the beautiful views from St. Peter's Basilica, and being "pen pals with the Pope". Sure, I remember the look on Christina's face when we missed our flight home, but I can laugh about it now. We knew it would be better once we had some distance. Suffice it to say, close to five months is enough.

And so, without further ado...

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Italy.

No comments: